"Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Love the Lord Your God

Good Morning!

Do you remember your first love? Maybe you were in elementary school, Jr. High, High school or even college when that first "crush" appeared. Did your heart beat a little faster when you saw him? Did you hang on his every word? Did it seem like an eternity before you saw him again? Do you remember how he consumed your every thought and that was all you could think about? I remember mine and I'm sure I'll be doing some explaining tonight!

I was reminded of this feeling this morning when I read Deuteronomy 6:5-9 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates"

God says love me with ALL your heart and with ALL your soul and with ALL your strength. Does your heart beat a little faster as your prepare to have your quiet time with Him in anticipation of learning something new about Him? Do you hang on His every word and memorize them? Does God consume all of your thoughts throughout the day? Do you continually think of ways to please Him and make Him happy?

Robert Boyd Munger wrote a very short book called, "My Heart - Christ's Home". He says, "without question one of the most remarkable Christian doctrines is that Jesus Christ himself through the Holy Spirit will actually enter a heart, settle down and be at home there."

We are to love God with ALL our heart because as a follower of Christ that's where Christ lives. What a privilege it is for Christ to make a home in our hearts. What joy we experience when Christ is at home in our heart.

Moses went on to warn the Israelites to "be careful that you do not forget the Lord who brought you out of Egypt". Sometimes the novelty turns into the mundane and I am quick to forget!!! The flames of passion turn to smoldering ashes if we don't fan the flame and tend to it. It's my responsibility to talk about Christ and what He's doing in my life to everyone I meet. It's my responsibility to write down His word and share it. It's my responsibility to obey Him and follow His commands. I must be careful NOT to forget but to remember.

It's not easy to give Christ my whole heart. I know there are some things I think I can handle and I forget to ask God for help. But it's those very things that He wants me to turn over to Him. He wants my whole heart, all of my heart.

Verse 18 says, "do what is right and good in the Lord's sight."

Do what is right and good and LOVE the Lord your God with ALL your HEART. And, as an added bonus you'll find loving others is a whole lot easier!!! :)

Love in Christ,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment